School Profile

The School

Marian Baker School (MBS) is a private international English-speaking school educating preschool through high school students.   The school offers a United States and Costa Rican based curriculum to prepare students for college and university study in the United States, Costa Rica, as well as other countries. There are fourteen different nationalities represented among teachers and students.  Staff vigorously supports parent expectations of the school:  preparation for university, authentic learning experiences, small class size, open-ended critical thinking strategies, special needs and intervention services, and family-oriented school-wide events.

The Faculty

All MBS teachers possess college degrees and are certified in their field of work, and more than 45% hold a Master’s degree.  Teachers participate in the selection of in-service topics to keep up-to-date with current developments in education, and also attend a variety of workshops and seminars both locally and internationally.  There are five different nationalities represented by the staff:  Costa Rican, Canadian, Dutch, Venezuelan, and USA.

THE STUDENT BODY

The total enrollment of Marian Baker School in the 2015-2016 school year is 231 students.

High School

57

Middle School

59

Elementary

 69

Early Childhood

 46

High School

Seniors

Juniors

Sophomore

Freshmen

The students come from different countries including: Argentina, Bolivia, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, France, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Japan, México, Poland, Perú, South Korea, Spain, Swiss and USA.

English Fluency

  • ELL
  • Fluent in English

3% of the student body in Elementary, and High School receive ELL services and the remaining 97% are fluent in English.

Grading System

GPA is based on a 4.0 points scale with the exception of Honor classes which are weighted in the amount of 5.0 points. The GPA provided in the transcript is cumulative from 9th to 12th grade courses. Core subjects are annual or semester courses, the annual courses weight 1 credit, semester courses weight 0.5 credits. Electives and PE are quarter courses and weight 0.2 credits each.

Accreditation and Memberships

The Marian Baker School is fully accredited by the Costa Rican Ministry of Public Education (MEP) and the Advanc-Ed (SACS-CASI.) MBS is also a member of the following professional organizations:

Asociación de Centros Educativos Privados   (ACEP), Costa Rica
Association of American Schools in Central America (AASCA)
The National Honor Society
Association for Advanced of International Education

High School Curriculum

AP English Language and Composition
AP English Literature and Composition
English as a Second Language (ESL)
English CP (College Prep)
English H (Honors)
Writing

AP Comparative Government
Costa Rican Social Studies  (CRSS)
Latin American History
US History CP & H
US Government AP
World Culture CP & H
World History CP & H

Advanced Mathematics
Algebra and Trigonometry
AP Calculus AB
Algebra II
Calculus H
Geometry
Pre-Calculus
SAT Math Prep.

AP Biology
AP Chemistry
AP Physics I
Biology I, CP & H
Biology II, CP & H
Chemistry I, CP & H
Chemistry II, CP & H
General Science-9.

Classic Literature
Film Appreciation
Literature Work
Mitología
Public Speaking

Basketball Team
Physical Education
Soccer Team
Volleyball Team

Acting & Directing
Chorus
Juggling
Light & Sound

Costume & Set Design

Art
Sculpture.

Digital Camera
Photoshop
Publishing
Video Production
Yearbook

AP Spanish Literature and Culture
AP Spanish Language and Culture
Spanish as a Second Language (SSL)
Spanish H

To graduate from the Marian Baker School a student must complete 4 credits each of English, Social Studies and Spanish; a total of 7 credits of Math and Science, 1 credit of Latin American History or Costa Rican Social Studies, and 6 credits of electives and PE.   Students must earn a total of 26.4 In addition, the students must meet computer competency standards..

CLASSES OF 2013-14-15 COLLEGE ACCEPTANCES

United States

Babson*
Baldwin Wallace*
Brandeis*
Baylor University^
Berkeley College of Music*
Berry College^
Boston University
Brigham Young University*
Drexel University
Emory
Florida Internacional U*
Georgetown University*
Loyola Chicago
Methodist*
Northeastern University*
SCAD
SMU Cox School of Business^
Suffolk University^
Texas Tech
The University of Arts in Philadelphia*
University of Kansas^*
University of Minnesota*
University of Texas, Austin
University of West Florida^
Wheaton*
Washington State University

Canada

Mc Gill*
University of British Columbia*
Vancouver Island

Chile

U. Catolica de Chile*

Korea

Han Dong University*
Seoul National University^
KAISF.

Holland

University or Amsterdam*.

Scotland

University of Edinburgh

United Kingdom

Brighton University.

Wales

Cardiff

Costa Rica

ITCR^*
UCR*^
UCIMED*^
U. Veritas
ULACIT
Universidad Latina*

^ Class 2014 Enrollments
* Class 2015 Enrollments